To avoid wasting money at home while you are on vacation follow these tips:
- See if it is possible to put a vacation hold on your garbage and recycling services so you aren’t paying for empty containers to be emptied.
- Turn off the thermostat (or turn it down to 60 degrees if you are concerned about water pipes freezing).
- If the heat/air-conditioning is going to be turned down, but not off, close the window coverings to conserve energy.
- Flip the circuit breaker for the water heater to the off position.
- Plug your computing and entertainment devices into power strips, then turn off the strips to stop the electronics from consuming “phantom” energy.
- Instead of leaving interior lights turned on full-time to scare away would-be burglars, plug a few low-wattage lamps into automated timers.